Design a Book Jacket
Win £250 and a week's paid work placement
at a leading UK publishing house
The Stratford Literary Festival is holding The Felix Dennis Creative Writing Prize 2017, with the winning entries appearing in a Festival book which will be on sale in Waterstone’s Stratford upon Avon and on the Festival website.
Here’s the chance for you to design the jacket of the book – a great opportunity to add a project to your portfolio to demonstrate your skills, and to show to colleges and universities you are applying to, or to future employers. Plus the chance to learn about book jacket design in the art department of a major UK publishing house, Transworld Publishing (part of the Penguin Random House Group.
Who can enter
The competition is open to all students of design, graphic design, photography or art (or related courses) currently studying in the UK. You must be 18 years or over on 2nd March 2017.
How to enter
Please read the instructions below carefully as your design needs to be suitable for print and there are certain guidelines that we need to follow.
The final design must be submitted here as a low res pdf (no larger than 8MB) by Thursday 2nd March 2017
You entry must include your name, address, age and place where you are studying. Please include your name in the file name also.
Audience for the book: All age groups
Tone: The book will feature the winning poems and short stories by people of all ages who have entered our competition. This is an annual event and the book will be published by 23rd April 2017. We are looking at a jacket desing that is colourful, lively and sharp and that shows a unique and interesting interpretation of the title Sharing Stories. This might be interpreted in any way you choose. There is no particular need for it to relate to Stratford – though working this in might be a nice touch to reflect the location of the Festival. The book needs to quickly communicate the message of what it is as it will be on sale in Waterstone’s during and after the Festival. Take time to look at covers in a bookshop that catch your eye and ask yourself why they do.
The following must be included in your design:
Dimensions: 235mm x 155mm wide Front and Back. Allow 1cm for the spine. The book title and Festival Swan logo will need to feature on the spine.
Sub-title to appear on the front of the jacket:
Stratford Literary Festival Felix Dennis Creative Writing Competition Winners 2017
Leave room for 8 lines of blurb about the book contents.
Leave 45mm w x 30mm space at the bottom of the reverse of the cover for the ISBN (bar code) graphic and 45mm w x 50mm high for our logo.
The ISBN will be: 978-0-9565064-7-4
You need to also include the following:
Cover designed by: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The winning entry will need to supply all fonts and images (at 300dpi) and the artwork as an InDesign or Illustrator File.
Any questions about entry can be emailed to us here.
The Small Print:
1. The Judges decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
2. All entries must be in English, original and must not have been published or have won competitions elsewhere. Stratford Literary Festival reserves the right to use the winning image when and where it deems suitable, though the copyright remains with the artists/photographer. The winning may be used by the copyright holder in a portfolio to publicise the prize but cannot be used for commercial purposes elsewhere without the permission of the Stratford Literary Festival.
3. All entries must follow the guidelines above. Any entries that do not will not be considered.We accept only one submission per entry. All entries must include your name, address, date of birth and place of study. The winning entrant may be asked to make reasonable amendmentss to their entry and the Stratford Literary Festival reserves the right to make amendmens to final artwork as it sees fit.
4. The competition is open to students aged 18 and over currently enrolled on a course in the UK.
5. Entries must directly reflect the theme of the competition.
6. Entries will not be accepted after the closing date.
7. Writers will be notified before the launch of the Festival on 23rd April 2017. The winning entry will appear as the jacket on a Festival book which will be on sale at Waterstones Stratford-upon-Avon from 23rd April 2017 and online.
8. The Prize includes a week's paid work placement in the Art Department at Transworld Publishing, part of the Penguin Randsom House Group in London, to be taken at a time that is mutually agreed by both parties but before September 2017. The placement includes pay at £9.75 p/h.
9. By entering and supplying your email address you are allowing us to notify you about the Stratford Literary Festival. Your information will not be shared with any third parties.
Felix Dennis was a publisher, poet and planter of trees, and a great supporter of the Festival. He died in 2014. His Executors are supporting the competition in his memory to encourage writers and poets.
We would like to than Transworld Publishing for its immense generosity in suppporting this competition.
Stratford Literary Festival is a Registered Charity No.: 1164662
Live FeedTweets by @StratLitFest
Story based on Asian legend wins this award for debuts
Transworld Publishing offers a week's paid placement in design department
Festival partners with Salariya Book Company to launch major new prize